SAFE AFTER FIRE
A family escaped unharmed after their house was engulfed by fire in Papatoetoe on February 22. Initially the Fire Service had concerns people may have been trapped inside the burning house, but everyone was later accounted for. The Fire Service were were called to the fire on Shirley Road at 10.45am. A Fire Service spokesperson said the fire, which had burnt through a lot of the building, had been contained shortly after. A large group of up to 30 residents gathered to watch what was happening. Shirley Road was closed between Great South
Road and Dreadon Ave.