Abandoned baby can be buried: MP
The body of a newborn baby boy left abandoned in a Ma¯ngere reserve will be returned for burial after nearly 10 months.
Community leaders will be able to fulfil their pledge to hold a funeral for the boy whose mother was never identified.
Police had appealed for the mother to come forward but to no avail. Final forensic tests in May were unable to provide any further leads.
Ma¯ngere MP Aupito William Sio says final arrangements are still to be made, but a date could be set for late September.
‘‘We’ve come back to them, in consultation with the Ma¯ngere-O¯ta¯huhu Local Board, to say that we’re happy to arrange the final funeral service.’’
The service will bring some closure to the community, Sio says.
‘‘I would hope by going public it will give [the parents] the opportunity to come forward. We don’t need to know who they are, but they can participate in the final service.
‘‘We are not making any judgement on them.’’
Once costs are known, there will be a public meeting to organise the final details.
The baby’s body was discovered at a reserve near Mona Ave Reserve on November 24 last year, wrapped in clothing printed with the words ‘‘SAMOAN CULTUREOUR PRIDE AND JOY’’.