Warn­ing against smok­ing in bed

Manukau Courier - - YOUR LOCAL NEWS - JARRED WIL­LIAMSON

One man had a lucky es­cape af­ter a lit cig­a­rette sent the bed he fell asleep on up in flames.

It’s prompt­ing calls from Fire and Emer­gency NZ, the re­named Fire Ser­vice, to avoid smok­ing in bed and to make sure sleep­outs have smoke alarms.

ta¯huhu sta­tion of­fi­cer Shane Munro says the ‘‘medium-size’’ fire broke out early at the Ma¯ngere house on Septem­ber 22.

‘‘The gen­tle­man fell asleep while smok­ing in bed in a sleep out,’’ he says.

Fam­ily mem­bers in the main house were able to put most of the fire out but it could have been much worse, Munro says.

‘‘He was quite lucky he woke up. He had no smoke alarms.’’

Munro says there was fire dam­age to the bed, the car­pet sur­round­ing the bed and a nearby couch.

He says it’s a re­minder to peo­ple to have smoke alarms in the house and out­build­ings.

‘‘Peo­ple are put­ting them in their house, but for­get­ting to put them in sleep­outs.

‘‘If you are tired, tak­ing med­i­ca­tions or have had a lot of al­co­hol - avoid smok­ing in bed.’’

Munro says it’s im­por­tant to en­sure cig­a­rettes and matches have been ex­tin­guished. It’s ideal to smoke out­doors, he says.

Fire And Emer­gency NZ rec­om­mends peo­ple use long-life pho­to­elec­tric smoke alarms, avail­able from hard­ware shops.

FIRE AND EMER­GENCY NZ

The fire burned through the bed mattress and part of the base.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.