So good they’ll come back for seconds
This sticky date pud and yummy sauce will have everyone licking their bowls clean.
Sticky date pudding
21⁄ cups pitted dried dates 1 cup water 1 teaspoon baking soda 4 tablespoons butter 2 eggs
cup sugar (preferably castor sugar)
teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon vanilla essence 11⁄ cups plain flour 11⁄ teaspoons baking powder
cup cream 1 cup brown sugar
Reserved butterscotch sauce Vanilla icecream or runny cream (optional)
Preheat oven to 170C. Grease an oven-proof dish (measuring about 20 x 20cm) with butter.
1. Place dates and water in a medium pot on medium-high heat. Cook for about 6 minutes, stirring often, until dates are soft, have broken down and water has evaporated. Remove from heat and stir through baking soda and first measure of butter, until combined and butter is melted. Set aside for about 10 minutes to cool slightly.
2. While date mixture is cooling, lightly whisk eggs in a large bowl. Place cooled date mixture into bowl with eggs and add sugar, salt and vanilla essence. Stir until combined then gently fold through flour and baking powder, until just combined.
3. Transfer mixture into prepared dish and bake for about 45 minutes, until golden and skewer comes out clean. Set aside for about 5 minutes.
4. When the pudding has 5 minutes’ cook time remaining, prepare the butterscotch sauce. Combine all butterscotch sauce ingredients in a small pot on medium heat. Bring the sauce to a gentle simmer, then reduce heat to low to cook for a further 3-4 minutes, until the sugar has dissolved and sauce has thickened slightly.
5. Poke about 15 holes in the top of the pudding, using the end of a spoon or skewer. Pour over half the butterscotch sauce (reserving half to serve) and leave for about 1 minute to soak into the pudding slightly.
To serve, cut sticky date pudding into squares and serve on plates or in bowls, pouring over extra butterscotch sauce (if desired). Serve icecream on the side, or drizzle over runny cream (if using).
Recipe is from the new Bargain Box cookbook –
– packed with easy, tasty and affordable recipes the whole family will love bargainbox.co.nz
If you want dessert, this sticky date pudding is sure to please.