Brazen shoplifter fi­nally caught

Marlborough Express - - NEWS - JEN­NIFER EDER

A woman who left The Ware­house with a trol­ley-full of goods with­out pay­ing al­most got away with it - un­til she tried it again in an­other town.

Amanda Jane Edwards, 45, first at­tempted her brazen ap­proach to shoplift­ing in Oc­to­ber last year.

The West Coast woman went to The Ware­house, in Motueka.

She put a lawn mower, cur­tains and cur­tain rails in a trol­ley and walked out the door with­out pay­ing for them, stash­ing them in her car and driv­ing away. The items were worth $1100. Edwards was not iden­ti­fied as the cul­prit and ap­peared to have got away with it, un­til she tried the same tech­nique eight months later.

She went to The Ware­house, in Blen­heim, and filled a trol­ley with a vac­uum cleaner, a cowhide rug, a bat­tery, some cloth­ing and a sheep­skin rug on Fri­day.

Edwards tried to walk out the door with­out pay­ing, but was con­fronted by se­cu­rity at the door. She made a run for it with the trol­ley to her car, stow­ing the items and driv­ing away.

Po­lice found Edwards shortly af­ter. She ad­mit­ted tak­ing the items, which were worth $1511 in to­tal.

They searched her car and found a glass pipe and 2 grams of metham­phetamine.

She was for­bid­den from driv­ing, but she claimed her son was be­hind the wheel dur­ing the theft.

Edwards ad­mit­ted two counts of shoplift­ing, pos­ses­sion of meth, pos­ses­sion of meth uten­sils and driv­ing while for­bid­den at the Blen­heim Dis­trict Court on Mon­day.

She spent three nights in the cells, hav­ing been re­manded in cus­tody over the week­end.

Her lawyer Philip Wat­son said Edwards had a his­tory of ad­dic­tion is­sues which helped to ex­plain her of­fend­ing.

He asked if she could be bailed to her home in Inan­gahua, in the Buller Dis­trict, and her case moved to the Grey­mouth Dis­trict Court.

Po­lice had checked the ad­dress and did not op­pose her bail.

Judge David Ruth con­victed Edwards and re­manded her on bail, on the con­di­tion she drive straight to her house, where she would be on cur­few be­tween 9pm and 7am. She was not to con­sume non-pre­scrip­tion drugs in­clud­ing syn­thetic drugs, Judge Ruth said.

Edwards would reap­pear at the Grey­mouth Dis­trict Court for sen­tenc­ing on Au­gust 24.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.