Expect hobbits in town
Sir Peter Jackson’s long-delayed Hobbit movie will begin shooting in March, the movie’s production company 3Foot7 has announced.
The company said the first day of ‘‘principal photography’’ would be Monday, March 21, with filming at Stone St Studios in Miramar and on location around New Zealand including in Matamata.
The film has suffered a number of setbacks, including union disputes and a director who quit, and the hospitalisation of Jackson for a perforated stomach ulcer last month.
Jackson was released from Wellington Hospital last Thursday. His spokeswoman said he was expected to make a full recovery.
‘‘Despite some delays we are fully back on track and very excited to get started,’’ Jackson said.
The March date was chosen following ‘‘following practical considerations of the filming schedule requirements, actor availability and the New Zealand seasons’’, the company said.
The Hobbit’s confirmed cast includes Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins and Sir Ian McKellen as Gandalf.
Other actors will be Richard Armitage, Ken Stott, Graham McTavish, William Kircher, James Nesbitt, Stephen Hunter, Rob Kazinsky, Aidan Turner, Peter Hambleton, John Callen, Jed Brophy, Mark Hadlow, Adam Brown, Cate Blanchett, Andy Serkis, Mikael Persbrant, Sylvester McCoy and Elijah Wood.