Hobbits await summer
Hobbit fans around the Waikato waiting for Sir Peter Jackson and his crew to arrive will have to sit tight.
The filming due to begin at Hobbiton throughout March and April will not take place until the end of the year, 3 Foot 7 productions publicist Melissa Booth confirmed; amidst speculation filming may have to be squeezed in before April ends.
The Dominion Post reported on March 26 that permission to film at Hobbiton will be lost due to their current resource consent ending on April 30 but Ms Booth said this was not an issue and it had been blown out of perspective.
‘‘Getting a new consent is just part of the nature of filming. It comes with the job and often things have to be moved around and new consents applied for. It is not an issue at all.
‘‘The only reason filming has been delayed at Hobbiton is because Sir Peter got sick. We had to move around some of the filming. We need to be filming at Hobbiton over summer so it will now be around the end of the year, not because we don’t have consent.’’
Exact dates for filming are still to be confirmed.
Matamata-Piako District Council communications officer Jenni Cochrane said they would need to apply for a new consent if filming was not happening before the end of April but there was no problem with the process.
‘‘3 foot 7 currently has resource consent from council for works at Hobbiton.
‘‘ Like any resource consent
it has conditions, which Hobbiton must meet. 3 foot 7 has met the required conditions for the stages of their consent that have been completed. The only stage left to be completed is filming and the required conditions do not need to be met until they are ready to begin.’’ The council was required to process resource consents in 20 working days and she said 3 Foot 7 was well aware that they would need one and would be factoring that into their planning.
Hobbit Dilemma: Filming at Hobbiton was delayed after Sir Peter Jackson became sick not because they will lose resource consent from the Matamata-Piako District Council.