Ecobulbs have health effects
This letter is in regards to the article in the Chronicle regarding ecobulbs.
The problem I have with it is that it only gives a viewpoint of the power savings yet there is more to it than that.
Because of the mercury content it does create a hazard when the bulb becomes damaged where the mercury can leak into air and be breathed in.
This can be particularly bad for children and pregnant women and needs to be cleaned up with great care, not vacuumed.
I have a mixture at home and do find that after a while reading under them I can get a headache.
But not under the other lights.
As far as I was aware there are no convenient disposal points to dispose of undamaged but defunct bulbs.
Perhaps the rubbish/recycling dump would take them but really who is going to take a special trip to dispose of just one bulb?
Either the council office or the retailers could have a special bin to put them in.
I believe that the Green Party tried some time ago to make them compulsory in all light fittings and ban the incandescent bulb completely.
I am glad to see that it was not implemented.
It is great to save on power but not at the expense of health issues. community steeped in rich history and we are proud to be able to share this milestone with both the past and the present community.
Should any readers know of any past families from Te Poi who would like to take part in the celebrations, require further details, or register please either visit our website tepoi.co.nz or contact Ngaire on 07 880 9577.
We look forward to hosting past and present families to share memories and plan for the future.