Anti-freeze kills family pets
Two Farmers Rd residents are looking for answers after three of their cats died from anti-freeze poisoning within two weeks.
Earlier this month, boarder Emily Jones came home to find her 6-month-old cat Hammy in what seemed like a drunken state.
‘‘He was really lethargic and wobbly on his feet – it was like he was drunk,” Miss Jones said.
‘‘We rang the vet and he was intrigued and wanted to take him in overnight.”
Later that night, her younger cat Whylie started to show similar symptoms, she said.
‘‘He went to run for the stairs and it was like his legs wouldn’t work. ‘‘I just burst into tears.” She took Whylie to the vet, where all of his vital signs appeared normal, and left him there overnight.
Following the vet’s advice, Miss Jones spent the next morning asking neighbours if there were any chemicals around the have gotten into.
After neighbours assured they hadn’t seen anything, called the vet to check in. Whylie was dead. ‘‘I couldn’t stop crying,” Miss Jones said.
cats could her she
An autopsy and blood tests confirmed that both Whylie and Hammy had been exposed to the poison anti-freeze.
Miss Jones had to make the difficult decision to put Hammy down.
A week later, Amy Martin – who lives at the same address – started to get concerned when her 7-year-old cat Furball stopped eating.
“We thought he might have had the flu because he had been sneezing,” Ms Martin said.
“We took him to the
vet and straight away he could tell it was chronic kidney failure – it was the same thing as the other cats.
“We had to put him down on my 5-year-old son’s birthday.”
Ms Martin said they had searched their entire property for anti-freeze, including under the house and they came up with nothing.
“We just moved in six weeks ago and we’re so upset – we can’t see anywhere where they could have contracted it on their own.
“If someone is doing this, if it’s malicious, we want them to stop doing it because these are family pets.
“We have young kids living here, and we don’t want them getting into anything.”
Miss Jones still has one cat, Knuckles, and said she would be sending him to live with her boyfriend. “I can’t have him living here when we don’t know where this is coming from.”
The incident has been reported to Matamata Police and Sergeant Graham McGurk confirmed they were making inquiries.
Buddies: Emily Jones’ cat Knuckles with his two mates Whylie and Hammy, who both died of anti-freeze poisoning.