‘In­trud­ers’ turned out to be flames

Bri­gade quick to scene

Matamata Chronicle - - News - By DAVID NICOLL

In the early hours of Fri­day morn­ing, Gra­ham and Faye Timms thought some­one was in their home. In­stead, it was a rag­ing fire in their garage which left part of their home gut­ted.

Fire­fight­ers from Mata­mata Vol­un­teer Fire Bri­gade re­sponded at 4.23am and ar­rived to find the Tawari St house well ablaze.

Fire Ser­vice spokesman Jaron Phillips said fire­fight­ers dragged a car out of the garage to help quell the heat from the blaze.

Fire­fight­ers were still at the scene at 7.30am damp­en­ing hotspots and us­ing ther­mal imag­ing to find any po­ten­tial flare ups. The car from the garage was still smoul­der­ing when the Mata­mata Chron­i­cle ar­rived on the scene.

‘‘About 4am this morn­ing my wife woke me up she said ‘oh I think some­one’s in the house.’’ She had to shake me to wake me up,’’ Gra­ham Timms said.

He jumped out of bed walked up the pas­sage.

‘‘The house alarm went, and I thought shit that’s the bus. We’ve got a mo­tor home parked out the side there and it’s got an alarm in it.’’

Timms rushed out­side to the mo­tor home but quickly re­alised it was the house alarm that was go­ing off.

‘‘So we’ve got a door that goes from the house into the garage

and here. I opened that and whoosh.’’

When he opened the door he was hit by a wave of hot air which singed the hair on top of his head.

‘‘It was hot and I didn’t go into the garage, I just opened the door.’’

Timms then kitchen.

‘‘It was the first thing I thought of. [I] grabbed a jug of wa­ter and threw it at the fire.’’

His at­tempts to put out the fire were to no avail. ‘‘She was well un­dergo by then.’’

Timms said he wasn’t sure how the fire started.‘‘The only thing was that I had a bat­tery on charge. That and a fridge were the only things on in the garage.’’

For­tu­nately only Timms and his wife Faye were in the house at the time.

‘‘Luck­ily we sleep down the far end, oth­er­wise the old smoke might have got to us a bit quick. She was thick.’’

Timms said it only took 10 min­utes for the fire bri­gade to ar­rive. ‘‘They were here pretty quick and the am­bu­lance came too. They checked us out.’’

Neigh­bours called the fire bri­gade while the Timms’ were still inside the house.

Fire in­ves­ti­ga­tors at the scene said they were un­able to com­ment at this point as it was still un­der in­ves­ti­ga­tion.





ALL ABLAZE: Gra­ham Timms and his great grand­son Ash­ton Knowl­ton in front of the burnt Tawari St home.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.