‘Intruders’ turned out to be flames
Brigade quick to scene
In the early hours of Friday morning, Graham and Faye Timms thought someone was in their home. Instead, it was a raging fire in their garage which left part of their home gutted.
Firefighters from Matamata Volunteer Fire Brigade responded at 4.23am and arrived to find the Tawari St house well ablaze.
Fire Service spokesman Jaron Phillips said firefighters dragged a car out of the garage to help quell the heat from the blaze.
Firefighters were still at the scene at 7.30am dampening hotspots and using thermal imaging to find any potential flare ups. The car from the garage was still smouldering when the Matamata Chronicle arrived on the scene.
‘‘About 4am this morning my wife woke me up she said ‘oh I think someone’s in the house.’’ She had to shake me to wake me up,’’ Graham Timms said.
He jumped out of bed walked up the passage.
‘‘The house alarm went, and I thought shit that’s the bus. We’ve got a motor home parked out the side there and it’s got an alarm in it.’’
Timms rushed outside to the motor home but quickly realised it was the house alarm that was going off.
‘‘So we’ve got a door that goes from the house into the garage
and here. I opened that and whoosh.’’
When he opened the door he was hit by a wave of hot air which singed the hair on top of his head.
‘‘It was hot and I didn’t go into the garage, I just opened the door.’’
Timms then kitchen.
‘‘It was the first thing I thought of. [I] grabbed a jug of water and threw it at the fire.’’
His attempts to put out the fire were to no avail. ‘‘She was well undergo by then.’’
Timms said he wasn’t sure how the fire started.‘‘The only thing was that I had a battery on charge. That and a fridge were the only things on in the garage.’’
Fortunately only Timms and his wife Faye were in the house at the time.
‘‘Luckily we sleep down the far end, otherwise the old smoke might have got to us a bit quick. She was thick.’’
Timms said it only took 10 minutes for the fire brigade to arrive. ‘‘They were here pretty quick and the ambulance came too. They checked us out.’’
Neighbours called the fire brigade while the Timms’ were still inside the house.
Fire investigators at the scene said they were unable to comment at this point as it was still under investigation.
ALL ABLAZE: Graham Timms and his great grandson Ashton Knowlton in front of the burnt Tawari St home.