Swifts win in ex­tra time of away-game strug­gle


Matamata Chronicle - - Classified -

Only two Swifts sides played over the long week­end and both pulled off mer­i­to­ri­ous re­sults.

Auck­land Wan­der­ers 1- 2 Waikato Stud Mata­mata Swifts

ASB Chatham Cup – qual­i­fy­ing round

Waikato Stud Mata­mata Swifts have pro­gressed out of the qual­i­fy­ing round of the 2015 ASB Chatham Cup, New Zealand’s na­tion­wide knock-out cup com­pe­ti­tion, af­ter an ex­tra time victory over Auck­land op­po­si­tion.

This Sun­day ex­cur­sion was some­thing of a trip into the un­known for the Swifts, as they knew lit­tle about their op­po­nents and, af­ter a last minute venue change to Bill McKin­ley Park’s ar­ti­fi­cial turf, were con­fronted with a sur­face most would not have played on be­fore.

This was com­pounded by a num­ber of forced per­son­nel and po­si­tional changes, which led to a pretty rough open­ing half hour or so for the Swifts as they strug­gled to adapt.

The vis­i­tors went close to tak­ing the lead dur­ing the open­ing ex­changes, be­fore grab­bing a de­served goal in the 11th minute when an un­marked at­tacker was given the run of the Swifts 18 yard box.

With a gale at their back the Wan­der­ers forced most of the play dur­ing the first half but Sun­day League qual­ity fin­ish­ing from the home side meant Swifts keeper, Jor­dan Wise, was rarely called on to make any­thing more than a reg­u­la­tion save.

He had to be sharp on one oc­ca­sion, how­ever, when div­ing at the feet of an ad­vanc­ing at­tacker.

The Wan­der­ers vis­i­bly tired as half time neared, al­low­ing the Swifts sev­eral op­por­tu­ni­ties to break out and attack their goal. Ro­nan Costello found him­self on the end of one of th­ese raids and knocked home the equaliser only a cou­ple of min­utes be­fore the break.

The sec­ond half set­tled into a pat­tern of the Wan­der­ers get­ting caught off side and the Swifts over hit­ting passes, which meant not too much of any great con­se­quence took place.

The near­est ei­ther side came to scor­ing was when the trusty left boot of Mata­mata’s Jamie Bax­ter smashed a quick free kick into the Wan­der­ers’ up­right.

Nei­ther side re­ally looked ca­pa­ble of a fur­ther 30 min­utes, but that was nec­es­sary as the match fin­ished level at one apiece.

The Swifts made most of the run­ning dur­ing ex­tra time and went ahead in the 98th minute when sub­sti­tute, Lo­gan Allen, fin­ished off a neat counter attack.

The Swifts held on from there, de­spite a ner­vous fi­nal pe­riod when the Wan­der­ers threw ev­ery­thing at them.

Chal­lenge Mata­mata Swifts Ladies 0-0 Claude­lands Rovers

Waikato Ladies Di­vi­sion B

Chal­lenge Mata­mata Swifts Ladies con­tin­ued their un­beaten start to the 2015 sea­son af­ter hold­ing Claude­lands Rovers, one of the league’s more favoured teams, to a draw at the Domain.

Both the Swifts and Rovers had scored com­fort­able open­ing day vic­to­ries, with Rovers belt­ing home five goals with­out re­ply, so the Mata­mata coach­ing staff were aware this would be a great test for their young side.

The Ladies stood up well, how­ever, and their per­for­mance proved they’ll be more than com- pe­t­i­tive level.

De­spite lack­ing a goal the match wasn’t short of goal mouth ac­tion, par­tic­u­larly dur­ing the early stages.

The Swifts Ladies threat­ened on sev­eral oc­ca­sions while Ana Pater­son in the Mata­mata goal proved her worth as a shot stop­per.

The clean sheet was tes­ta­ment to her ef­forts, along with that of the back four.


Fix­tures (May 2/3):


week­end off.


The Swifts re­serves

Ju­nior Foot­ball:


had the

this week­end

Ngongo­taha v Waikato Stud Mata­mata Swifts, 2.45pm, Stem­bridge Road, Ngongo­taha. Ngongo­taha re­serves v Mata­mata Swifts re­serves, 12.30pm, Stem­bridge Road, Ngongo­taha. Otoro­hanga v Chal­lenge Mata­mata Ladies, 11am, Otoro­hanga.

All our ju­nior sides start this Satur­day. Please visit mata­mataswifts. com/ ju­niors for the draw. Mini- kick­ers, 9am, Mata­mata Domain.

Played on Weal­leans Park be­neath cool, over­cast skies, spec­ta­tors cer­tainly got their money’s worth on Satur­day. A trib­ute was paid to fallen sol­diers with both club’s A and B teams, plus Marist and Hin­uera U21s, lining up to face the crowd as the Last Post was played.

Then the battle on the field com­menced. In the past, Hin­uera has had the wood on their south­ern neigh­bours. Not so on Satur­day. With a new coach, train­ing hav­ing be­gun be­fore Christ­mas, and for­mer play­ers re­turn­ing to the fold meant South­ern have taken on a new lease of life.

By con­trast, Hin­uera were lethar­gic. At times they did surge into life and hopes did spring eter­nal, but when you have big 16 stone for­wards run­ning at 8- 9 stone backs, it was al­ways dif­fi­cult.

Hin­uera did open the scor­ing with a Jar­rod McNaughton penalty, but with Owen Po­mare, South­ern’s No 8 run­ning pow­er­fully, they gained the lead with a con­verted try, 7-3 South­ern.

Three penal­ties to the vis­i­tors to two by McNaughton made the half­time score 16-9 to South­ern. Next week away to Frank­ton.

B’s v South­ern: 36-0 to South­ern; Colts Hamil­ton Marist Green 37 Hin­uera 18.

Other re­sults

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.