Two wins over West Hamil­ton

Matamata Chronicle - - Your Paper, Your Place - DWAYNE BAR­LOW

In a slightly trun­cated Easter week­end fix­ture sched­ule, the two Mata­mata Swifts teams who played both com­pleted well de­served vic­to­ries at the Mata­mata Do­main over teams from West Hamil­ton United.

The Swifts re-found the win­ning feel­ing with a, in the end, com­fort­able 4-1 Loaded WaiBOP Premiership win over West Hamil­ton’s first team, while in the early game the Swifts A team edged West Hamil­ton’s re­serves 3-2 to re­main un­beaten.

The Richard­son Rac­ing Sta­bles Swifts re­serves’ WaiBOP Cham­pi­onship match against Te Puke United was postponed so as to help pre­serve the Do­main play­ing sur­faces, which meant the A team ef­fec­tively played the cur­tain raiser.

In a match that was as close as the score line in­di­cated, the A team main­tained their fine un­beaten start to the sea­son against op­po­nents who had en­tered the match full of con­fi­dence.

Ronan Costello dou­bled his goal haul for the sea­son with a well taken brace, while Jun Lee nabbed his first for the club to prove the dif­fer­ence in a com­pet­i­tive Waikato Di­vi­sion A en­counter.

That re­sult set the scene for the Premiership match against a side that had made the bold claim that they wanted the Premiership ti­tle, de­spite only be­ing pro­moted to the top flight in 2017.

It was a tight match in the ini­tial stages, with the Swifts in­tent on shoring things up at the back after let­ting in five at Melville the pre­vi­ous Satur­day.

As al­ways, Mata­mata looked good go­ing for­ward and they se­cured a priceless half time lead when speed­ster, Chris Walker, latched on to a Lo­gan Raynel pass for his fifth goal in three games.

The game was de­cided in less than 20 min­utes after half time. Walker dou­bled Mata­mata’s lead, be­fore the vis­i­tors struck back fol­low­ing a free kick. Within mo­ments of the vis­i­tors’ goal, how­ever, the Swifts had re­stored their two goal mar­gin thanks to Dayne Willem­sen.

Mata­mata threat­ened to over-run their op­po­nents and the fourth goal fi­nally came when teenage debu­tant, Reuben Wiglesworth, smashed the ball home near the end hav­ing only been on the field for a cou­ple of min­utes.

The win moved Mata­mata up to third in the Premiership after three rounds.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.