Nelson Branch — Vintage Car Club of New Zealand Inc.
JOIN THE CLUB
The Nelson Branch of the Vintage Car Club of New Zealand was formed in 1964 by a small group of local enthusiasts as a subgroup of the Canterbury Branch, which is still the largest branch in the country, with almost 1000 members. Nelson has 285 members, who, between them, own in excess of 600 club-eligible cars and motorcycles.
One of the founding members, current patron Ken Ivory, celebrated his 90th birthday by driving his 1930 Ford Model A to Christchurch and back — vintage cars must be good for your health! There are six categories of vehicles in the club, ranging from Veteran (built prior to December 1918) to Post 1980 (but must be at least 30 years old).
The branch is developing new club rooms at the Nelson Speedway Association grounds in Richmond, just south of Nelson city, which are due for completion later this year.
A club night is held each month on the second Thursday, involving talks, films, and motoring activities. On the following Sunday, a club run gets the cars onto roads around the district, often with lunch stops and a chance for members to gather and chat.
During the year, additional tours and rallies are organized: for the 50th anniversary, a weekend rally attracted 120 vehicles, and 55 joined a four-day tour ending in Greymouth for the annual West Coast rally. The annual swap meet in February has grown hugely and is now big business, with over 120 sites.
The branch has a welcoming, friendly atmosphere, with plenty of experienced people to help with old-vehicle restorations and maintenance.