with fitness trainer Tatyana Pikhtin
Q. What are the benefits of eating sushi?
A. Sushi improves the activity of the heart, blood vessels and digestive tract and stimulates mental activity. Sushi contains a lot of vitamins and minerals, omega-3, fatty acids and proteins. Sushi is normally served with wasabi sauce that contains antiseptic properties and rice is a supplier of fiber that is so needed for proper digestion. Adding sushi to your diet promotes an effective weight loss. An average portion contains approximately 350 calories and only 3.6 grams of fat, thus some diets are based on the low calorie properties of sushi.
Q. I skip breakfast in the morning. Why am I not hungry and why is it dangerous to skip breakfast?
A. An hour after you wake up your blood sugar level starts to drop below normal. Many say they do not want to eat for a few hours after waking up. That's right, you might not want to, but your body and cells want to eat. You are unaware of it as the signs might not be recognizable at that time.The desire to eat something happens when the sugar level has already fallen below normal, at this time you can already experience mild irritation or a small stress as the food did not arrive for three to five hours. The body cannot rely on you; it relies only on itself. So, for your blood sugar level not to fall to a critical point (which means death) the glucose or sugar is taken from the muscles as glycogen and they begin to wilt and we lose power and energy. That is why when you are skipping breakfast, after a while the body weakens and starts loosing power by constant headaches and overall tiredness, which might lead to migraines and chronic body exhaustion.
Q. I have been asked these questions many times: What foods can I eat to speed up my metabolism? Is it true that food could be a fat burning food? What are the fat burning foods claiming to help you lose weight faster?
A. We must realize there is only one way to lose weight – to eat less and move more. No food itself is going to make you lose weight. You need to have a calorie deficit if you want to lose weight. However, there are certain foods (thermogenic) that cause the body to work harder during digestion by increasing the amount of heat your body generates during the digestion process, resulting in an increased metabolism for a short amount of time, thus reducing the number of calories the body retains. Our bodies need a combination of three macronutrients daily – protein, fat and carbohydrates. Protein is a thermogenic. Simply by increasing overall protein intake and reducing carbohydrates (not less than 40 per cent of your daily calories) will cause hormonal changes that promote weight loss by boosting metabolism. It has been estimated that 30 per cent of calories from protein are burned during digestion.
The following will give your body the extra metabolic kick to shave off weight quickly.
1. Grapefruit – with regular use (150g per day), is able to reduce the weight of an average person from 1kg to 2kg in two weeks; contains vitamin C, helps to liquefy fat and remove it from the body faster.
2. Green Tea – contains a chemical called EGCG that causes the brain and nervous system to run faster, helping you to burn more calories. Asian nutritionists recommend drinking four cups a day of green tea. It will give the greatest effect to burn fat.
3. Spicy foods – mainly spices – black pepper, pepper, pepperoni, mustard and horseradish. Jalapenos (Cayenne pepper) contains capsaicin, which stimulates metabolism, speeds up heart rate and reduces "bad" fat in the arteries. Chili contains the substance capsaicin that "melts" the extra calories for 20 minutes after a meal.
4. Low-fat dairy products – increases production of the hormone calcitriol, which causes the cells to burn more fat. The calcium will rev up your metabolism and help you lose weight faster, especially milk as it contains carbohydrates that will allow your body to keep your insulin levels up and causing your body not to store fat. Milk contains calcium, which is a metabolic trigger (it is recom-mended to consume 1,200 to 1,300mg of calcium daily).
5. Cinnamon – one teaspoon a day reduces the level of sugar in the blood and prevents the transformation of excess carbohydrates into fat.
6. Ginger – expands the blood vessels, increases metabolism and stimulates circulation.
7. Water – dehydration has a negative effect on getting rid of extra kilograms.
8. Protein foods – for protein digestion. You spend more calories to digest protein than fats and carbohydrates. As a result, excess fat is burned.