GOLF TOURISM URISM PROGRESS S REPORT
What has been happening in Golf Tourism rism in New Zealand. nd.
INDUSTRY EMBRACES TECHNOLOGY TO SHOWCASE COURSES Sometimes the magnificence of a course can't be captured by words alone so we have been encouraging courses to invest in professional photography and even video or virtual reality to promote their point of difference. Kauri Cliffs and Cape Kidnappers have produced two new videos which are superb examples of using a short video to deliver a powerful message about their product. See the videos for yourself by visiting www.kauricliffs.com and www.capekidnappers.com and searching their video gallery.
Additionally, Over Top Helicopters and Rapturous Media have created an amazing virtual reality immersive experience shot at 4,500 ft on their clifftop par three in Queenstown. The experience can be viewed from a desktop, tablet, or phone, but works best when paired with Google Glass, an optical head-mounted display designed in the shape of a pair of eyeglasses. This cutting edge tool has been incredibly useful at overseas trade shows to allow a member of the media or travel trade to experience the clifftop par three for themselves. You can view the desktop version of the virtual reality experience by visiting www. overthetop.co.nz and selecting 360 Tour. WELLINGTON COURSES FEATURE ON FOX SPORTS The Golf Show on Fox Sports Australia visited Wellington with the program airing several times in 2016. The crew spent time at Royal Wellington and Paraparaumu. While in the city the crew took the opportunity to check out what else Wellington had to offer experiencing the newly renovated Intercontinental Hotel, Greenmantle Estate Lodge, Te Papa, Boomrock Station, a Waka tour in Wellington Harbour, and superb food and wine. You can check out the Golf Show video by visiting www.youtube.com and searching for “The Golf Show Wellington New Zealand”. UNDERSTANDING THE CHINESE GOLFER There is a comprehensive research report now available. It's packed with information aimed at helping you understand the Chinese golfer, what motivates them, how you can attract them, and what it takes to satisfy their requirements. The study, titled “Activating The China Golf Market And Increasing Value Delivery To Visitors & The Sector” was co-funded by Auckland Tourism, Events, and Economic Development (ATEED), the Ministry of Business, Innovation, and Employment (MBIE), and Auckland International Airport. You can view the report as a small PDF or a larger PowerPoint (preferred) on the New Zealand Golf website www.golf.co.nz or Tourism New Zealand's corporate website, www. tourismnewzealand.com. REAP THE REWARDS OF QUALMARK Qualmark is New Zealand Tourism's official quality assurance organisation, providing a trusted guide to quality travel experiences.
Qualmark makes it easy for travelers to select high quality places to stay, things to do, and ways to get around. Having Qualmark status means a business has met stringent quality standards and environmental criteria. There are several benefits to joining Qualmark such as:
1. Priority listing on newzealand.com
2. Inclusion with international trade operator training
3. Greater access to inbound tour operators
4. Support from a business advisor and golf advisor
5. Health and safety assessment included as part of the Qualmark business assessment
6. Your business is assessed in line with best practice within a tourism context and wider business principles
7. An independent view/outside
perspective of your business
8. Recognition and trust Chisholm Links Golf Club, Dunedin Royal Wellington Golf Course
Did you know? Around 15% of businesses listed with Tourism New Zealand are Qualmark endorsed. Those businesses generated 62% of newzealand.com referrals of the last six months with an average of 198 referrals per business.
TOOLS TO GROW YOUR GOLF COURSE'S BUSINESS
TNZ has engaged a market leader in digital e-learning to help us produce a series of educational modules for the Marquee and Experience courses. The five minute modules will be released soon and have been developed to help golf courses develop international capability and grow their international business. The topics covered are:
1. Golf as an international tourism opportunity - understanding the value and impact of tourism on golf courses
2. Understanding roles – meet the key players in the tourism industry
3. Service delivery – how to ensure your course meets international service standards
4. Digital and online booking – the evolution of digital and how it impacts your business
5. Understanding the Chinese golfer – who they are and what are they expecting
6. Qualmark – the value that Qualmark brings into your business
The green on the par 4, 15th hole with the third green behind on the Paraparaumu Beach Golf Club.