Mataura mill’s masonry mishap
Lorraine White was driving past the former paper mill building at Mataura last week when she saw large chunks of concrete on the road.
They had fallen from the building’s chimney, endangering passing motorists or pedestrians.
‘‘They would have come down with a bloody big bang. They’re not heavy but you wouldn’t want to be under them coming from that height.’’
She had complained about the state of the chimney several years ago after concrete fell off it and said she still has concerns about its safety.
‘‘They just came and put a fence around it. They’ve had it painted and he [the owner, Dunedin businessman Greg Paterson] must have spent a lot of money on it but they haven’t done anything about the chimney.
‘‘There’s a big crack running down it now and that can’t be good. I reckon it’s a hazard in the town.’’
She planned to inform the Gore District Council of the problem.
The mills were built in the mid 1870’s and closed in 2000.
The buildings are currently being used to store ouvea premix which belonged to Taha Asia Pacific, a company which was could get hurt, or placed into August 2015.
Gore District Council building control manager Russell Paterson said council had received a notice that ‘‘something was wrong’’ with the chimney last week.
‘‘We investigated it last week and contacted the owner and the manager there and asked them to get something sorted this week.
Masonry had fallen off the receivership in chimney before, he said.
‘‘We’ve looked at it and found that it was no more onerous than last time so we’ve indicated that safety fences need to be put up at the bottom of it.’’
The council could issue a notice to fix, which required immediate action to be taken, but that was not necessary in this instance, he said.
‘‘We’ve talked to the owner and said that a more long-term solution needs to be found to stop this from occurring.’’
Parts of the mill had a building warrant of fitness.
‘‘The parts of it that are occupied do, but I’m not sure exactly where the premix is being stored in there.’’
Newslink has attempted to contact Paterson but has been unsuccessful.
Lorraine White with a piece of concrete that has fallen from the chimney of the former paper mill building.