CREATE YOUR OWN FLAVOURFUL herb & spice blends
Mix and match your favourite herbs and spices to create special blends that friends and family will love.
Variety may be the spice of life, but herbs and spices are the variety of many a kitchen pantry. Plant a herb and spice garden and make your own special blends for seasoning foods. To make your own Creole Mix:
• 2 tablespoons plus 1½ teaspoons paprika • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
• 1 tablespoon salt • 1 tablespoon onion powder • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
• 1 tablespoon dried thyme • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper • 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper. Combine all ingredients. Makes about ½ cup. Place in an airtight container, label and attach the following handwritten or typed instructions on a card: “Use to season chicken, seafood, steak or vegetables.”
Make a delicious Lemon Pepper Mix for seasoning chicken and fish: • 1 cup ground black pepper • 1/ 3 cup dried lemon peel • 3 tablespoons coriander seeds • ¼ cup dried minced onion
• ¼ cup dried thyme leaves. Place all ingredients in a food processor and blitz until the mix resembles breadcrumbs. Store in attractive, airtight containers. Add a card to the jar with the following instructions: “To make Lemon Chicken, in a low, flat dish, mix together ¼ cup lemon juice, ¼ extra virgin olive oil and 2 teaspoons lemon pepper mix. Add 600-700g chicken tenderloins and marinate in the fridge for 30-45 minutes. Grill on the barbecue for 4 minutes each side, or until done. Serves 4.”
Make your own delicious Herb &
Spice Salt Mix for yourself and friends. You need: • 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper • 1 tablespoon chicken stock powder • 1 teaspoon onion powder • 1 tablespoon garlic salt • 1 teaspoon cumin powder
• 1 teaspoon dried ground marjoram leaves • 1 tablespoon dried flaked parsley • 1 teaspoon ground paprika • ½ teaspoon curry powder
• 1 tablespoon chili powder • 1/ 3 cup salt. Mix all ingredients together and place in an airtight container and label.
Makes about 1 cup.
For a Fragrant Herbal Mix you need: • 2 teaspoons paprika • 2 teaspoons dry mustard • 1½ teaspoons dried ground oregano • 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon dried ground thyme
• 1 teaspoon coarse salt • 1 teaspoon curry powder • ½ teaspoon onion powder • ¼ teaspoon dried ground dill leaf. Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container and label. Attach a card that says: “This mix is great in vegetable soups and potato salads.
Mix with mayonnaise for a delicious sandwich spread, or add to devilled eggs. Shake well before using.”
Herb blending is an ancient process. Whether fresh or dried, the synergy of blended herbs and spices creates an enhanced flavour. Pack your mixes in glass jars, label and offer as one-of-a-kind gifts.