WHY YOU DON’T WANT THE PIN OAK AS A SHELTER TREE
I received the April issue of the NZ Lifestyle Block mag this week and, as usual, have read it from cover to cover. I really enjoy the wide variety of articles in your magazine.
However, I was concerned to read on page 29 that the pin oak ( Quercus palustris) is listed as one of the recommended shade trees. Acorns, if eaten, are toxic to stock, with symptoms showing 5-7 days after ingestion. Pin oaks should NOT be planted as shade trees for animals.
A lifestyle block owner in my area found out the hard way when her small flock of sheep became very sick from eating acorns. Two of them died; the rest survived but I understand that it’ll be 60- 90 days before they are clear of the toxins, so she’s still keeping a close eye on them.
Needless to say, she was very upset.