The Cameron’s Blockhouse
THE HOMESTEAD Cathy lives in dates from 1882, but there is another earlier Heritage New Zealand Category 1 listed building on the land nearby which the public can visit.
The Cameron Blockhouse was built in 1868 by farmer John Cameron as a place of refuge for his family. However, it wasn't needed as battles between the army of European settlers and Maori never reached the area.
The blockhouse has a floor of compacted earth, double-skinned tōtara walls with clay infill (to protect against bullets and fire) and a corrugated iron roof. Around the walls holes for gun barrels let in shafts of light.