Jane’s tips for perfect pears
• If you pick your pears at the right time (pears are one of the few fruits that ripen off the tree), you can eat them at their perfect best. That’s also the time to preserve them.
• European and hybrid pears are best picked when still firm. If left to ripen on the tree, stone cells develop, which give the fruit a gritty texture and poor flavour.
• Pick your pears when the fruit are full-sized and have begun to change colour. They should still be firm, not hard nor soft.
• Lift each pear and twist slightly – it should come away easily from the branch – then leave to ripen indoors, which should take one to two weeks.
• If you want to store them for an extended period of time, place the unripe fruit in the fridge for between one and three months, and take them out a week before you want to eat them.