Bond St buildings evacuated after occupants smell gas
Two neighbouring buildings on Bond St, Norwich House and Consultancy House, were evacuated late yesterday morning after occupants in both reported smelling gas. Bond St was cordoned off and firefighters with breathing apparatus entered both buildings. A person at the scene said there was a smell of gas throughout the buildings. The cordon was lifted in the early afternoon and occupants reentered the buildings. Fire crews found no evidence of a dangerous gas leak. A Fire and Emergency New Zealand staff member contacted the Harbourmaster regarding the possibility an lpg tanker had released gas when leaving the dock, but a Port Otago spokesman said there was no evidence this was the case.