Fenz says Wanaka fire a cue to sweep chimneys
FIRE and Emergency New Zealand has sounded the alarm over the importance of chimney sweeping after a fire in a Wanaka chimney spread to the house’s roof.
Fire and Emergency communications spokeswoman Lyn Crosson said Wanaka fire crews were called to the blaze late Wednesday night.
It had spread from a chimney into the roof cavity of a singlestory Kennedy Cres home, which they extinguished quickly.
‘‘They had no problem extinguishing it; then they just checked for hot spots before leaving.’’
However, the incident served as a timely reminder for homeowners with wood or pelletburners to get their chimneys swept, Ms Crosson said.
‘‘To stop chimney fires, you do need to get it cleaned every year,’’ she advised.