Otago Daily Times

Mid­dleweight ti­tle re­tained by An­der­son


- STAFF RE­PORTER Sports · Boxing · Martial Arts · Dunedin · Championship · New Zealand · Christchurch · Auckland Region · Mixed Martial Arts · Xtreme · Randy Orton · James McBride

MIXED mar­tial arts in Dunedin has risen from the can­vas.

Af­ter an 18­month hia­tus due to can­cel­la­tions and Covidre­lated post­pone­ments, MMA re­turned with a vengeance when the Xtreme Fight­ing Cham­pi­onship was held at the Edgar Cen­tre on Satur­day night.

Two Aus­tralasian ti­tles and one New Zealand ti­tle went on the line in the nine­bout fight card, much to the de­light of a 1000­strong crowd.

In one of the fea­tures of the night, Dunedin’s Bro­gan An­der­son re­tained his Aus­tralasian XFC pro­fes­sional mid­dleweight ti­tle when he made Christchur­ch’s Cole Davids (Uni­ver­sal Vale Tudo) sub­mit with about three sec­onds re­main­ing in round one of their 3 x 5­minute sched­uled fight.

An­der­son (14 wins, 3 losses), com­pet­ing in his first fight in about 12 months, showed no sign of cage rust as he me­thod­i­cally broke down the taller and rang­ier Davids (9­5).

Af­ter grap­pling against the cage and then sep­a­rat­ing, An­der­son even­tu­ally se­cured a dom­i­nant take­down be­fore he re­lent­lessly pur­sued the right arm of Davids and ap­plied the highly tech­ni­cal Kimora arm lock.

It was a fine win from An­der­son (31) as he de­fended his XFC ti­tle for the first time and lived up to his ‘‘Arm col­lec­tor’’ fight name.

An­der­son said he was “thrilled” and it was “great to get an­other tick in the win col­umn”.

He was ready to de­fend his XFC ti­tle when the next op­po­nent was lined up, but his main goal was still to com­pete in the Ul­ti­mate Fight­ing Cham­pi­onship.

“I have done the work and I am on a five­fight win streak and now I just need that op­por­tu­nity.”

Hamil­ton’s Matt “The Viper” Vaile re­tain his Aus­tralasian pro­fes­sional wel­ter­weight ti­tle in the other fea­tured fight when he over­whelmed New Zealand­based Bri­ton Sean Red­grave with a round­two tech­ni­cal knock­out.

Vaile (11­2) was all class as he landed punches and kicks on his feet and from a stand­ing guard po­si­tion.

The end came af­ter a straight right then hard left combo briefly dropped Red­grave (4­1) be­fore he scram­bled to his feet, but was soon dropped again and fin­ished with a flurry of left hand punches.

In the other ti­tle fight, Aaron Tau (3­0) won the va­cant XFC New Zealand pro­fes­sional ban­tamweight ti­tle via unan­i­mous de­ci­sion over Christchur­ch’s Caleb Lally (6­4).

Tau was sim­ply smarter with his shot se­lec­tions as he kicked and punched his way to the win in a fairly tight af­fair.

Dunedin’s Han­nah Daw­son show­cased her strik­ing skills as she edged Auck­land MMA’s Gabby Kane (7­4) via split de­ci­sion.

Both women put on a fine back and forth show­ing with two­time am­a­teur MMA world cham­pi­onship sil­ver medal­list Daw­son’s punch­ing prov­ing the dif­fer­ence in the 54kg kick­box­ing bout.

In one of the most dom­i­nant per­for­mances of the night, Christchur­ch’s James McBride (Elite Fight Com­plex) beat Dunedin’s Tay­lor Gar­rett (Ham­mer­head).

Dunedin men Howie Booth, Matt Toa, Peter Wil­liamson and Ge­off Todd were among a group of seven men in­ducted into the New Zealand Mixed Mar­tial Arts Fed­er­a­tion hall of fame.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand