Otago Daily Times
Napier storm: more damage to homes found
NAPIER: More homes in Napier have been declared uninhabitable, following Monday’s storm.
Hawke’s Bay Civil Defence said late yesterday afternoon that 225 homes had been assessed, and 30 were not fit to live in.
Eleven homes on Napier Hill and two in Marewa were severely damaged.
Affected residents were evacuating to welfare centres set up in Napier and Hastings, or to friends and family.
Civil Defence controller Ian McDonald said it was too early to put a cost on the damage the storm had caused.
Safety inspections of dozens more properties were likely to be completed today, and the longerterm challenge would be finding permanent accommodation for those now in emergency accommodation.
Welfare checks would also continue.
‘‘Multiagency teams also continue to check people’s welfare and wellbeing in the most severely impacted suburbs of Maraenui, Marewa and Pirimai and to coordinate support to affected residents,’’ Fire and Emergency New Zealand area manager Ken Cooper said.
‘‘We are working with Kainga Ora to check their tenants living in impacted areas.’’
The Government yesterday announced it was putting $100,000 into the Napier Mayoral Relief Fund. — RNZ