Cop basher ad­mits as­sault


A Ro­torua man who called the po­lice to his house be­fore us­ing a tom­a­hawk to knock a po­lice of­fi­cer un­con­scious - caus­ing an open skull frac­ture - has pleaded guilty to a lesser charge.

Arch Arthur Bo Har­vey, 25, was ini­tially charged with at­tempted mur­der but en­tered a guilty plea to the re­duced charge of griev­ous bod­ily harm and was con­victed at the High Court in Ro­torua on Wed­nes­day.

Har­vey at­tacked the of­fi­cer af­ter po­lice at­tended a do­mes­tic vi­o­lence call on July 20.

In a bizarre twist the po­lice sum­mary of facts re­vealed that it was Har­vey that called the po­lice to the Te Ngae Rd res­i­dence.

The call was made at 11.52pm from Har­vey’s prop­erty where a fam­ily birth­day party had been tak­ing place since 3pm.

‘‘He told the 111 call op­er­a­tor his ad­dress, how­ever he did not say what was hap­pen­ing there or why he wanted po­lice as­sis­tance,’’ the sum­mary said.

‘‘He sim­ply said ‘ wait’ and ‘lis­ten’ and it ap­pears he then holds the phone up for the op­er­a­tor to hear what is oc­cur­ring in the back­ground. Voices can be heard but no de­tail.’’

A po­lice car was dis­patched to the ad­dress, ar­riv­ing ap­prox­i­mately two min­utes later when the two of­fi­cers found a man and woman on the drive­way.

The woman had a bleed­ing nose and told of­fi­cers the man had as­saulted her.

One of­fi­cer ar­rested and hand cuffed the man who be­gan strug­gling when be­ing es­corted to the po­lice car.

Har­vey be­came aware that the po­lice were at his house and picked up the tom­a­hawk and ap­proached the of­fi­cer from be­hind.

‘‘The de­fen­dant swung the tom­a­hawk, strik­ing the Con­sta­ble once to the back of the head, im­me­di­ately knock­ing him un­con­scious.’’

Har­vey then fled to the Te Ngae shop­ping cen­tre, hid the tom­a­hawk in some shrubs and re­moved his cloth­ing.

‘‘He then climbed onto the roof of a nearby kinder­garten, where he pro­ceeded to watch other po­lice ar­rive, tend to the Con­sta­ble, and search for him. He re­mained hid­den on the roof for sev­eral hours un­til he saw all the at­tend­ing of­fi­cers had left.’’

Har­vey was ar­rested the next night at his home. He will be sen­tenced on De­cem­ber 11.

‘‘The de­fen­dant swung the tom­a­hawk, strik­ing the Con­sta­ble once to the back of the head.’’


A chick with white feath­ers has hatched in Ro­torua.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.