BEAUTY LOOKS TO LOVE
– make-up, hair and nail trends to try at home
While the classic smoky eye isn’t exactly a new trend, it does come with a sultry twist this season – extra smudgy sootiness on the lower lash line. But is it wearable during the day? According to Smashbox lead pro artist Sam Hart, the answer is yes. “You can make a smoky eye more wearable for daytime by keeping the waterline nude rather than wearing black,” she says. “This really helps your eyes appear bigger and also keeps the focus on the shadow.” Hart recommends drawing black liner along the waterline for added drama in the evening. “Tightly lining the upper and lower lash lines also adds intensity and the appearance of thicker lashes,” she says. As for making your shadow stay put, Hart’s pro tip is to apply a primer first. “A lid primer keeps everything in place and prevents shadow from creasing,” she says. If you want to go a step further, Hart recommends adding a few individual fake lashes.
TIP: To stop your mascara smudging throughout the day, pat a light dusting of face powder directly under the lower lash line, recommends Hart.
NICE AND NEUTRAL
Keep nails simple this season with shades that are wearable and versatile. “Classic nude shades are trending at the moment as well as glamorous deep plum hues at the other end of the spectrum,” says Essie product manager Vai Fonroques. When it comes to application, use both a base coat and a top coat to ensure your polish lasts as long as possible. “When you’re applying the top coat, sweep the brush along and under the tip of your nail so it seals the colour,” she suggests.
TIP: Solid colours work well on shorter nails. Squoval – a straight top with round edges – is an elegant shape that is also easy to maintain, says Fonroques.
1. MAC Studio Nail Lacquer in Vintage Vamp, $26. 2. OPI Nail Polish in Malaga Wine, $20. 3. Essie Nail Polish in Spin the Bottle, $23. 4. Rimmel London Super Gel Nail Polish by Kate in #015 Boho-Licious, $13. 5. Revlon Nail Enamel in 165 Romantique, $17.
SOFTLY DOES IT
When it comes to hair this season, Moroccanoil global ambassador Antonio Corral Calero is a fan of soft styles that exude femininity. When he designed the hair looks for the Cushnie et Ochs runway show at New York Fashion Week this year, that’s exactly what he wanted to portray. He says mastering this style is all down to prep and adding volume. “On damp hair, apply a dime-size [10c coin] amount of hair oil and a heat protector spray from root to tip to create the perfect styling foundation,” he says. “Add a quarter-size [$2 coin] amount of thickening lotion or mousse for fullness and volume.” Next, separate hair into two-inch sections and blow-dry smooth. Then, using a 4cm curling iron, create a slight bend in the front sections only. “Finish by misting the entire head with a medium-hold hairspray for a smooth, sleek and luminous finish,” he says.
TIP: Use the highest point of your eyebrow as a guide to where the line of your parting should fall, suggests Calero.
1. X Estée Lauder Eye Ink in Black Myrrh, $90. 2. Photo Finish Lid Primer, $50. 3. Ardell Brow Building Fiber Gel in Medium Brown, $22. 4. YSL Full Metal Eyeshadow in Grey Splash, $57. 5. Estée Lauder Brow Multi-Tasker in Blonde, $68. 6. Smashbox Always Sharp Waterproof Kohl Liner in Bare, $46. 7. Tom Ford Extreme Mascara in Raven, $80.
1. Joico Body Luxe Root Lift Volumising Foam, $32. 2. Moroccanoil Luminous Hairspray Medium, $45. 3. Moroccanoil Heat Styling Protection, $64.
4. ghd Curve Soft Curl Tong, $270.