More surgery for mauled dog

South Canterbury Herald - - YOUR LOCAL NEWS - ME­GAN SUTHER­LAND

Lukey, the nine-year-old col­lie cross bru­tally mauled by a roam­ing dog in Waimate on Wed­nes­day, has been sent home to re­cover while he awaits a sec­ond surgery.

Lukey un­der­went a three-anda-half hour surgery on Wed­nes­day to treat mul­ti­ple wounds af­ter a light tan, brindle and white dog vi­ciously bit and tore at his head and shoul­ders. The at­tack ex­posed his skull and also left Lukey with skin torn from other parts of his body.

Waimate woman Toni deRooy, who took Lukey on as a foster dog more than five months ago, said he had been able to re­turn home on Satur­day af­ter three nights at the Vet­eri­nary Cen­tre in Waimate.

He was ex­pected to have his sec­ond round of surgery this week, she said. Lukey’s sec­ond round of surgery aimed to treat dead skin on his ears and on the top of his head. DeRooy said she had been spoon-feed­ing Lukey as he was not eat­ing in­de­pen­dently fol­low­ing the surgery.

Since the at­tack deRooy had found out a lit­tle bit more about Lukey’s his­tory. The mother of his pre­vi­ous owner, who died, had got in touch af­ter she read about Lukey’s at­tack. The woman had told DeRooy how her son had adopted Lukey as a res­cue dog him­self af­ter see­ing a pri­vate ad­vert. The woman told her the pair had spent up to five years to­gether be­fore her son had passed away, she said.

Fol­low­ing his death, Lukey was adopted by another fam­ily but kept run­ning back to his old home, and ended up in the pound. Af­ter learn­ing he was likely to be eu­thanised, the Pound Paws Res­cue group took him on and it was then that he was fos­tered by deRooy.

DeRooy said Lukey had en­dured a ter­ri­ble time and she had com­mit­ted to giv­ing him a good life in the fu­ture. The road to re­cov­ery was go­ing to be long, and she did not think Lukey would be fully re­cov­ered be­fore Christ­mas.

‘‘He has six to seven years of pos­si­bly the best time of his life ahead of him.’’ The sup­port from peo­ple across the coun­try had been ‘‘over­whelm­ing’’. A Pound Paws Res­cue spokes­woman said around $8500 had been raised to cover Lukey’s vet­eri­nary bills, since the at­tack. Do­na­tions were be­ing raised via a Givealit­tle page and at the Vet­eri­nary Cen­tre, Waimate.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.