Pet poisoning perturbing for loving owners
Putaruru pet owners Elizabeth Perrit and Maurice Godwin cannot believe someone would want to harm their animals after one of their cats was poisoned last week.
The couple’s 10-year-old tortoiseshell cat Neo was poisoned with antifreeze and had to be euthanased by SPCA staff last Friday.
The incident is distressing for the entire family.
‘‘The night before she didn’t come home for dinner and we thought that was strange. The next morning we found her thrashing around on the ground,’’ Mr Godwin said.
The couple also said Neo was foaming around the mouth.
‘ ‘ We didn’t know what was wrong with her so rang SPCA. They took one look at her and they said she had been poisoned. SPCA said it is one of the cruelest things you can do,’’ Mr Godwin said.
They also have no idea how she came into contact with the chemical as they don’t have any on their property.
This incident is the second time one of their pets has had to be put down as another cat was euthanised after it was severely beaten.
‘ ‘ We j ust want to let people know this is the kind of thing that is going around. It is not on. Your pet is your pet. I had my crying eyes on yesterday (Friday),’’ Elizabeth Perrit said.
POISONED: Putaruru cat owner Elizabeth Perrit with her surviving cat 15-year-old cat Grandma, her other cat Neo was poisoned and had to be put down last week.