Hatchery’s history told
Tapapa Rainbow Trout Hatchery By Joan Stanley A book has been released on the history of trout farming in the Waimakariri River near Tirau.
The book Tapapa Rainbow Trout Hatchery ( pictured) by Joan Stanley was launched in Tapapa earlier this month.
The hatchery was located near where SH5 crosses the river. A stone carving and plaque are located upstream from the hatchery site.
Stanley’s book covers the reasons behind the ceration of the hatchery, its development, closure and then efforts this century to commemorate the site.
A real strength in the book is the use of first-hand accounts from those who remember the hatchery.
Stanley has been researching the hatchery for many years, writing an article for the Matamata Chronicle on the 100th anniversary of the introduction of rainbow trout to New Zealand in 1983.
The hatchery was opened in 1892. Trout had previously been bred at the Auckland Domain.
A new site was needed after a disease outbreak in Auckland and the Tapapa location was selected. The hatchery closed in 1914 and offspring of trout from the site are can still be found in the Waimakariri River and the neighbouring Waihou River.
The memorial to the hatchery is located off of Waimakariri Rd on the river’s western bank.