Time to get wise on your bikes
Bike Wise – February is Bike Wise month so I am working on plans for the month.
For those of you keen to get out and about on your bikes now, here are a few tips to help with your ride: CHANGING A TYRE 1. Make sure all the air is out of the tube.
2. Hook both of the tyre levers under the tyre, opposite the valve. 3. Attach one to a spoke. 4. Slide the other tyre lever around the tyre lifting it off the rim.
5. Take out the tube (starting from opposite the valve).
6. Run your fingers under the tyre to check for any glass etc.
7. Put a little bit of air into the new tube.
8. Place the valve in first, and then push the rest of the tube under the tyre.
9. Make sure all of the tube is under the tyre, by edging the tyre.
(This helps your to minimise the risk of pinching the new tube.)
10. Flick the tyre back onto the rim using your thumbs, start opposite the valve.
11. The last part is always the hardest. Use your muscles!!
12. Pump the tyre up, your all ready to go! RIDING UPHILL: Ride on the top of your bars. Try to ‘spin’ a low gear. Pick your gear at the bottom of the climb. This reduces the risk of dropping your chain or getting it jammed.