Shoot­ing haunts par­ents

Just over one year ago they, like the rest of the na­tion, were shocked at what was un­fold­ing in Toko­roa. In their first in­ter­view, Bruce and Nancy Ginns, par­ents of Jamie who in De­cem­ber last year beat a woman be­fore shoot­ing his part­ner out­side Toko­roa P

South Waikato News - - FRONT PAGE -

‘‘It has been a hard year, a really tough year,’’ Bruce said.

‘‘She (Nancy) isn’t too well. She has not been right since. She has had a cou­ple of strokes, be­fore that as well. But that did not help. It has knocked her about,’’ he said.

‘‘Nancy still gets mad at him and screams at him ask­ing why he did this,’’ he added.

Jamie was cre­mated af­ter his funeral ser­vice last De­cem­ber, his ashes sit in a white porce­lain box in the lounge of the cou­ple’s Toko­roa home.

‘‘She (Nancy) isn’t ready to let him go, he’s still in there,’’ Bruce said while glanc­ing into the lounge from the back­yard. ‘‘When she is ready we will let him go.’’

Speak­ing for the first time, the cou­ple re­vealed how they have strug­gled to come to terms with their son’s ac­tions while mourn­ing his loss.

On De­cem­ber 3, 2011, a day when the com­mu­nity flocked to the Toko­roa Big Week­end, the fa­ther of three shot his part­ner, Mata Glassie, out­side the Toko­roa Po­lice Sta­tion.

The in­ci­dent would also link him to a bru­tal as­sault on a young woman, who was found hog-tied in a Toko­roa drive­way, the day be­fore.

In a quiet moment Bruce low­ered his head as he re­called his last words with his son.

‘‘I was at work in the bush. (It was) bloody shock­ing . . . What made it worse is that she (Nancy) was home alone. ‘‘(I spoke to him) that Satur­day. He just rang up to say that he loved us and that he had had enough. He was talk­ing to the wife be­fore I got home. It was a bloody shock when I got home.’’

Bruce ar­rived home around 2pm.

‘‘I just told him to stay there and that I would come get him, all he said was ‘you will know where to find me’.’’

Bruce was asked if he knew what Jamie’s in­ten­tions were when he drove to the the bush area in Ma­maku.

‘‘In a sense yes, but we don’t know why he went that way. The thing is we will never know why it hap­pened. How do you pre­pare your­self for some­thing like that?’

‘‘It has been tough. Even I miss him. I am used to go­ing in the shed with him and we used to muck around in there to build things and now he isn’t there. Some­times when I’m in the shed I think he is go­ing to walk in.’’

The cou­ple also ex­pressed their grat­i­tude to­wards the South Waikato com­mu­nity for lend­ing its sup­port over the last year.

‘‘Oh yes that was awe­some. It is just amaz­ing when things like that hap­pen you get a lot of peo­ple who just turn up. Which is bloody good. We have never had any back­lash from the com­mu­nity or any­thing like that. I think peo­ple re­alise that it could hap­pen to them at any time, you just never know.’’

He added, ‘‘A lot of peo­ple came over and helped with ev­ery­thing. A lot of them were be­hind the scenes do­ing the cook­ing and all of that. When you need them, they just turn up out of the blue even if you haven’t seen them for years.’’

They are ap­pre­cia­tive of the help and sup­port ex­tended by Toko­roa De­tec­tive Sergeant Ke­van Verry.

‘‘With­out him, we wouldn’t be where we are to­day. He would just come around and check in on us and see how we were do­ing,’’ Nancy said.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.