Woman fright­ened of be­ing left alone now

South Waikato News - - NEWS - By CAITLIN WAL­LACE

Self de­fence classes are at the top of Max­ine Lozell’s to-do list.

Well, af­ter she re­cov­ers well enough to walk with­out crutches that is.

Bat­tered and bruised, the mother of two was lucky to es­cape with her life af­ter a bru­tal at­tack out­side her Lich­field home on April 22.

The 42-year old was left un­con­scious and freez­ing af­ter she was set upon by two men.

This is the sec­ond time in the past two years that Lozell has been as­saulted by strangers on her own property.

But Lozell said this lat­est atroc­ity makes her first as­sault ap­pear triv­ial.

The nightmare be­gan just af­ter 6am when Lozell left for work.

What she thought was their dog com­ing through the gate turned out to be a nasty sur­prise.

Two men grabbed the rest home worker and de­manded her keys, but when she for­got where they were, the at­tacks started.

‘‘ He started punch­ing and kick­ing,’’ she said.

As the beat­ing was dished out, she heard her at­tack­ers plan­ning to steal one of her grey­hounds.

‘‘I guess they thought they were valu­able enough,’’ she said.

She man­aged to scram­ble away to her car all the while scream­ing as she at­tempted to get to the car to toot the horn.

But her hus­band, daugh­ter and son- in- law lay sleep­ing in­side, obliv­i­ous to the hor­ror.

Be­fore she reached the car, the men caught her.

And it was at that mo­ment, she started to fear for her life as she was stran­gled with a dog lead. ‘‘I thought, ‘this is it’,’’ she said. Lozell blacked out and the at­tack­ers fled with $250.

She lay there for what she said felt like sec­onds, but it was an hour later at about 7:20am when the rest home rang her hus­band to ask where she was was.

Lozell was taken to Toko­roa Hospi­tal and then to Waikato Hospi­tal for tests.

She sus­tained a body full of bruises, frac­tures to her face and a sprained knee.

This is the sec­ond at­tack she has come un­der in the last two years.

In a dif­fer­ent house, Lozell dis­turbed some­one go­ing through her shed and was punched in the face and kicked.

But last Tues­day’s at­tack was a whole new level.

All her con­fi­dence has been re­placed by fear - the at­tack de­stroy­ing her view of her ‘‘nice quiet com­mu­nity’’.

‘‘It makes you aware you aren’t even safe in your own home,’’ she said.

‘‘ I was home alone for five min­utes the other day and as soon as that car left the drive­way, I started to panic.’’

Al­though she is in fear, she plans to re­gain her con­fi­dence with a self de­fence class.

In panic, Lozell said the ‘‘ obey and ob­serve’’ rule was lost on her.

Toko­roa Se­nior Sergeant, Graeme Hill said no ar­rests had been made and the in­ves­ti­ga­tion is on­go­ing.

He said the at­tack was ‘‘ran­dom’’ es­pe­cially in a ru­ral area, but warned people to still be wary.

Scarred: Max­ine Lozell has been scarred in more ways than one from the vi­cious beat­ing she re­ceived

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.