Fast-think­ing trio do the right thing


Quick think­ing by three Toko­roa pri­mary school chil­dren could have saved a man from se­ri­ous in­jury.

Dais­han Car­pen­ter, 10, Eruera Rangi, 11, and Nathan Seal, 9, saw smoke bil­low­ing out of a Kauri St flat.

The trio went out­side to play dur­ing the YMCA hol­i­day pro­gramme and saw smoke com­ing from the prop­erty.

‘‘I walked out­side and I could smell black smoke,’’ Dais­han said.

The boys im­me­di­ately went to tell an adult who called the fire bri­gade.

Eruera said they thought of the oc­cu­pant’s wel­fare first. ‘‘We thought he might get hurt.’’ Toko­roa Vol­un­teer Fire Bri­gade chief fire of­fi­cer Dave Mor­ris praised the boys’ ac­tions.

‘‘Es­pe­cially for their age, they are more sen­si­ble than some adults.’’

The house was aired out while St John am­bu­lance checked on the res­i­dent.

Mor­ris said it could have been worse if emer­gency ser­vices were not called.

‘‘If any­one is in the house they can have se­ri­ous smoke in­hala­tion or if it was a fire it could have been fa­tal.’’

The smoke was caused by unat­tended cook­ing on the stove, he said.

The vic­tim,who did not wish to be named, said the chil­dren did the right thing.

Toko­roa YMCA ser­vices man­ager chil­dren’s

Carmel Mid­dle­brook said there is one fire drill per term and one at the start of each hol­i­day pro­gramme.

‘‘They knew what to do which is good, I was so proud of them. It wasn’t un­til af­ter­wards that we thought about what could have hap­pened.’’

Fire­wise: Eruera Rangi, 11, left, Dais­han Car­pen­ter, 10, and Nathan Seal, 9, saw the smoke at the Kauri St flats and were quick to alert adults

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.