Body found after house fire
When smoke drifted across Donald Mcintyre’s home, he thought his neighbour was incinerating garden waste in a 200 litre steel drum.
His Tokoroa neighbour would often dispose of the leaves and clippings in a small controlled fire.
So on Monday, when Mcintyre saw smoke come across the top of his house again, he thought little of it and and continued on with his daily routine.
But obscured out the back of his house his neighbour’s house was engulfed in flames and a man lay dead in the garage.
At 10.45am on Monday, emergency crews were alerted to the fire which ripped through the house on a rear section at Carrington Crescent.
According to electoral roll, Stephen John Eagle is the sole occupant of the house.
Fire communications shift manager Scott Osmond said the house was fully engulfed in flames.
Mcintyre said they saw the blaze from down in the Tokoroa town centre and rushed to his house fearing he had become a victim.
Climbing to the roof, he did what he could to protect his own property with hose and water.
"For a while there I thought it was going to come through the fence."
Tokoroa fire chief Dave Morris said five fire crews had attended the fire, which had been enhanced by two gas cylinders outside the house.
When they arrived, they told Mcintyre to move back a safe distance.
They brought the fire under control by 11.30am.
While searching the unattached garage, which was not affected by the fire, firefighters found a dead body.
Police said neither the fire nor the death is suspicious.
Bottlers pay little more than $1 for 1000 litres of water and sell it for as much as $2.60 per litre.
A fire engulfed a house in Tokoroa and a man was found dead in the unattached garage.