Caution key to emergency prevention
Dark and cold wintry conditions are keeping the Tokoroa Volunteer Fire Brigade busy.
Over the last month the brigade has been called to six property fires throughout the area.
Chief fire officer Dave Morris said while there was no one cause for the fires many have started the same way.
‘‘A big cause of fires is the storage of ash when people are cleaning out their fires. Hot ash needs to be stored in a metal container and kept well away from buildings,’’ he said.
‘‘You should also put plenty of water on it because sometimes it can take four to five days to cool down.’’
Morris said candles were another major cause of fires.
‘‘Lately candles have been a cause we have struck and we attended a shed fire on Wednesday afternoon which had been caused by a candle,’’ he said.
‘‘Our message to people is that if they are burning a candle they should not leave it unattended and also use an approved candle holder so that it won’t fall over.’’
He said if a candle holder couldn’t be found a fire proof container or saucer were also useful.
While blocked and ill-fitted chimneys can often cause fires Morris said it was good to see they were not causing many issues in Tokoroa.
He advised people to visit fire.org.nz for more safety advice and tips.
‘‘All fires are avoidable if people are cautious,’’ he said.
Melanie Farenas says customers have been telling her that customers said that it is easier to come straight to Tirau rather than stop in Cambridge.