FROM THE EDI­TOR

South Waikato News - - Your Paper, Your Place -

Well, the lo­cal body elec­tions are done and dusted for an­other three years.

The 44 per cent who voted can rest easy know­ing they have the best peo­ple in power and the other 56 per cent pre­sum­ably don’t care any­way.

Lo­cal elec­tions sel­dom reach the ex­cite­ment lev­els of the gen­eral elec­tion, even though they ar­guably have a greater ef­fect on our day-to-day lives.

The fact that voter turnout at lo­cal elec­tion level is so woe­ful and get­ting worse, it makes you won­der if we have the right sys­tem at all.

If we are not go­ing to take part in the demo­cratic process, why are we spend­ing so much money on the whole thing? Per­haps the Gov­ern­ment should just ap­point a small board of likely cit­i­zens and we can all be done with it.

Per­son­ally I think a strong lo­cal coun­cil is vi­tal to en­sur­ing small com­mu­ni­ties make the most of their op­por­tu­ni­ties but does ev­ery­one think the same way?

Daniel Hutchin­son

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.