Bach destroyed in Mangakino
A bach was completely destroyed by fire in Mangakino early Monday morning.
It was initially thought two people were still inside the bach, however that proved not to be the case.
Two people had been staying at the house, Northern Fire Communications shift manager Jaron Phillips said.
Mangakino Fire Chief Craig Snowball said fire crews had been unable to search one part of the ‘‘gutted’’ home straight because of a collapsed roof. A was parked in the driveway, sparking fears there might be people still in the house.
When firefighters first arrived Snowball said the 100 sqm bach was engulfed in flames.
Their first concern was to protect the neighbouring home - a mere two metres from the blazing bach.
‘‘The whole house was on fire, it was pretty close. All we were doing was protecting exposures the shed out the back and the neighbour’s house.
‘‘There were quite a few people outside when we arrived.’’
Once backup arrived, and there were 16 firefighters on site, they dealt with the fire inside the home.
The home was owned by people from outside Mangakino, Snowball said, but it had been rented out for the week. He was trying to find out the whereabouts of those people.