Rubbish fires making life unbearable
A Waikato woman has become a prisoner in her own home due to constant rubbish burn-offs which surround her house in smoke.
It’s not the kind of lifestyle Marie-jeanne Licari expected on moving from Auckland to Putaruru.
She says she constantly has to shut herself indoors while smoke billows around her house during the three to four times a week surrounding neighbours burn-off large quantities of rubbish.
Licari said her health had declined since she moved to Myrtle Grove in April last year.
‘‘At times there is so much smoke you think the house is on fire,’’ she said.
‘‘I have to live with everything closed, I can’t get any fresh air in the house. I am being fumigated like a blimmin’ bug.
‘‘It gets into everything and my eyes have been sore for months now and my breathing is not right.
‘‘I lived in Auckland for 40 years and never had these health issues. My eyes have never been so red.’’
She said her neighbours were verbally abusive when she confronted them.
‘‘I can’t go and see them because the two times I have I got a mouth full of abuse,’’ she said.
Licari said the South Waikato
‘‘At times there is so much smoke you think the house is on fire.’’ Marie-jeanne Licari
District Council had been of little help.
‘‘I am not impressed because the council is basically allowing them to continue doing it.
South Waikato District Council communications officer Sina Tolovae said a permit must be obtained before lighting any fire in an urban area and failure to comply could result in a fine.
‘‘The council can prosecute if people are burning fires without permits, however our preferred method is always education over fining,’’ she said.
‘‘At the first complaint our rural fire officer Ian Wellings carried out a site visit and discovered that the resident was in fact burning an open air urban fire without a permit. Mr Wellings instructed that the fire be put out.
‘‘Two more complaints have been received since. On both occasions the resident had a permit for the burning and the fires themselves were of a manageable level, however Mr Wellings requested on one instance that the fire be put out anyway to which the resident willingly did so.’’
Marie-jeanne Licari believes smoke from her neighbours burning rubbish is making her sick.