QUEENSTOWN CELEBRATES CENTENARY
The Queenstown Golf Club, aka Kelvin Heights, is celebrating its centenary year. The club has been sited on four different locations during its 100 years. The first course was at Frankton Flats. In 1936 the Queenstown to Kingston road was opened and as part of the road ran through the course the club moved to the Queenstown airport site where players swapped dodging cars for dodging planes. The course, which criss-crossed the runway, was flat and (of course) treeless.
By 1958, the advances in aviation, larger aircraft and an increasing number of flights forced the club to move again, this time to what is the current site of the nine-hole Frankton Golf Centre.
Nine years later, because part of the course was to be used as a temporary runway while a new sealed runway was built, plans were made to move the course for a fourth, and final, time.
In February 1969, members voted to proceed with the building of an 18-hole golf course on the Kelvin Peninsula. A lease was obtained and in 1970 work began, with the new course and clubhouse opening in April 1975. In October that year the club changed its name to Queenstown Golf Club.
Over the years the club has made regular improvements. In 1998 a five-bay driving range was opened and in 2010 the upstairs lounge, bar and associated facilities were refurbished.