Apart from its famous architecture and canal systems, Venice presents the visitor with an elegant and technically challenging golf course that is consistently rated in the country’s top 10.
Circolo Golf Venezia, aka Venice Golf Club, situated on the island of Lido di Venezia, hosted the Italian Open championship in 1955, 1960 and 1974.
The original nine-hole Venice course designed by Scottish architect Bobby Cruikshank opened in 1930. Part of its charm is the story behind its creation… that in 1928 the American industrialist Henry Ford enlisted the help of his friend Count Giuseppe Volpi di Misurata to find a suitable site on the island to enjoy a game of golf.
The course was extended and developed into an 18-hole course by champion English golfer Henry Cotton in 1951 and once had a Scottish links style. Today, with its mature trees and immaculate upkeep, the tree-lined fairways and sandy dunes lend the course a distinct park-like feel.
Water hazards are limited to a few pretty ponds that skirt three holes. The only ‘canal’ to be crossed is a small inlet below the first tee — unless you count the moat that surrounds an 18th