Camp Kaitawa set to celebrate 50th birthday
Perched on the edge of the mighty Te Urewera National Park sits a camp ground that has delighted children for nigh on 50 years, something that will be celebrated this month.
Camp Kaitawa opened as an outdoor education camp in 1967, using buildings from Kaitawa School, which was opened for children of people building the Kaitawa Power Station.
The buildings were shifted to Piripaua Power Station in 1944, and the school closed in 1957.
Ten years later Camp Kaitawa was opened by volunteers, mainly to cater for primary and intermediate school groups in what was then the Hawke’s Bay Education Board area.
Now the Camp Kaitawa Trust is looking for people who have enjoyed the camp over the past 50 years to share their stories at its 50th anniversary celebrations on October 28.
It’s also hoping people will come forward with old photographs to help illustrate the good times.
The camp has been upgraded to hold 72 people, and some guests are now third generation campers. It is there for schools to use, and can be used for family reunions, weddings, hunting groups, botanical societies, and much more.
It’s operated by a charitable trust which contracts camp managers to oversee the facilities.
Significant voluntary work and charitable donations enable fees to be kept at affordable levels so that as many as possible can enjoy the facilities and environment.
People attending the 50th anniversary will be treated to photographs, stories of school visits, and a tour of the facilities. Lunch is also included.
The camp opened in 19667, using buildings shifted from Kaitawa School. It has also been used for weddings, reunions and by botanical groups.