House left gut­ted af­ter fire

The Horowhenua Mail - - FRONT PAGE - MIRI SCHROETER

A house in Shan­non has been de­stroyed in a fire that was well ablaze when fire­fight­ers ar­rived.

A Fire and Emer­gency NZ spokesman said the house was en­gulfed in flames when fire­fight­ers from Shan­non and Toko­maru ar­rived about 3.10am on Satur­day.

Fire­fight­ers spent about three hours ex­tin­guish­ing the blaze at the Clapham St house.

The spokesman said no-one was in­jured, but it was un­clear whether the home was oc­cu­pied at the time.

Af­ter wak­ing up to her dogs bark­ing, neigh­bour Karina Mani­hera went out­side and saw the house across the road in flames.

She could feel the heat from the house.

Mani­hera called emer­gency ser­vices, but the flames had al­ready burst through the roof of the home, she said.

‘‘It was quite scary. I couldn’t even talk on the phone prop­erly.’’

Her hus­band Mau­rice Mani­hera ran to the next-door neigh­bour’s house to get them out as the flames drew closer.

It was sad see­ing the house de­stroyed, as he used to live there as a teenager, he said.

The fire is un­der in­ves­ti­ga­tion.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.