Mus­sels linked to out­break

The Napier Mail - - FRONT PAGE - STAFF RE­PORTER Any­one feel­ing sick and who has eaten shell­fish from the ma­rina area should con­tact their fam­ily doc­tor or they could call HealthLine, 0800 611 116.

A tangi for a Hawke’s Bay man who died af­ter get­ting lost in the Ton­gariro Na­tional Park has been linked to an out­break of paraty­phoid.

Six peo­ple have been hos­pi­talised with the ill­ness, and at least three of them had eaten mus­sels taken from Napier Ma­rina.

Mus­sels be­lieved to have been from the ma­rina were served at the tangi of Vin­cent Tau­rima at Tan­goio Marae more than two weeks ago.

Ge­orge Reti, Nga¯ti Kahun­gunu’s Napier marae rep­re­sen­ta­tive, said on Tues­day he would talk to el­ders about the po­ten­tial of ra¯hui, or har­vest­ing re­stric­tions, be­ing placed on gath­er­ing seafood from the ma­rina area.

There were signs around the ma­rina say­ing seafood gath­ered there should not be eaten, but peo­ple con­tin­ued to do so, he said.

The Hawke’s Bay District Health Board is try­ing to find out whether all the paraty­phoid cases were caused by eat­ing mus­sels taken from the same spot.

Med­i­cal of­fi­cer of health Nick Jones said paraty­phoid fever was a se­ri­ous ill­ness.

Peo­ple with the disease will have a fever, chills, headache, pos­si­bly a rash, and may also get se­vere vom­it­ing and di­ar­rhoea.

Paraty­phoid gen­er­ally oc­curs within 10 days of con­sum­ing con­tam­i­nated food or wa­ter, but symp­toms may take as long as four weeks to de­velop.

MAR­ION VAN DIJK/ STUFF

Mus­sels gath­ered from Napier Ma­rina have been linked to three peo­ple fall­ing ill to a se­ri­ous disease.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.