Sec­ond brother jailed for brutal as­sault that left man hand­i­capped

The Northern Advocate - - Local News - Im­ran Ali

The sec­ond brother in­volved in a vi­cious at­tack on a man that left him un­able to walk, talk, or recog­nise his own daugh­ter has been jailed for eight years.

Fred­er­ick Sa­muels, 20, pleaded guilty to a charge of with in­tent to cause griev­ous bod­ily harm caused griev­ous bod­ily harm on the morn­ing of his trial in the Whanga¯rei District Court.

He is the brother of Tan­garoa Sa­muels who king hit Shane Lemon across the back of his head with a plank of wood out­side the Otan­garei house where Lemon lived with his part­ner and three grand­chil­dren.

Af­ter he was hit Lemon’s head struck the con­crete drive­way and he be­gan to con­vulse.

Tan­garoa Sa­muels was urged on by his mother, Dei­dre Shelford, who was sit­ting in a car and yelling at her son: “Get him my son, get him. Pack him, my son, pack him up.”

He was jailed in May for nine years and six months, with a non-pa­role pe­riod of four years and nine months.

Shelford is in cus­tody await­ing sen­tence next month.

The vi­o­lent at­tack was sparked when Lemon’s spe­cial needs brother was in­tox­i­cated and stood at the front of the prop­erty on William Jones Dr, yelling abuse at pass­ing ve­hi­cles.

Sen­tenc­ing Fred­er­ick Sa­muels, Judge Keith de Rid­der said his brother who was driv­ing past stopped his ve­hi­cle, got out and be­came in­volved in a ver­bal al­ter­ca­tion.

Fred­er­ick Sa­muels left but re­turned with his brother and mother a short time later in three ve­hi­cles.

Judge de Rid­der said Lemon came out, apol­o­gised to the broth­ers, and urged them to leave.

He said Fred­er­ick handed a piece of tim­ber to his brother who swore at and threat­ened Lemon.

As Lemon mo­men­tar­ily turned to speak to a fam­ily mem­ber, Tan­garoa Sa­muels swung the tim­ber base­ball style across the back of Lemon’s head.

Lemon dropped to the ground, struck his head on the con­crete drive­way and be­gan to con­vulse.

He was rushed to Whanga¯rei Hos­pi­tal in a se­ri­ous con­di­tion but was soon flown to Auckland where he had surgery to al­le­vi­ate the bleed­ing and pres­sure on his brain.

Judge de Rid­der said Lemon had a per­fo­rated eye and mul­ti­ple frac­tures at the back of his head.

Doc­tors told his fam­ily not to ex­pect him to sur­vive, he said.

He ac­cepted Fred­er­ick Sa­muels had a lesser role but only to the ex­tent he didn’t swing the piece of tim­ber.

“In my view there’s a very lim­ited dis­tinc­tion be­cause you went to the back of the car and the two of you up­lifted the tim­ber be­fore go­ing to the fam­ily’s home.”

Lemon needs help with as­pects of his daily life like go­ing to the toi­let and in­ter­act­ing with his grand­chil­dren.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.