No compassion from All Hearts
The Collards Str8 Up team were whipped 8-4 on home turf by Waipap Gold in week 9/ 22 of the Far North Pool Association 2018 championship last Tuesday evening.
Local commentator Sharpshooter noted it hadn’t been often this season that anyone had seen Waipap Gold lead 6-2 at the turn (ie. after the singles games were played).
Sharpshooter went on to note Collards All Hearts showed no heart in tuning up their Back In Black stablemates 9-3 (5-3) on the adjacent table, this after trailing 3-1 before winning eight games in a row.
Elsewhere, the Marlins were on the receiving end of a 9-3 (6-2) thrashing from a more-in-tune Renegades recovering from last week’s stutter, a draw; All Day vs Awaz Tigers Two ended up a stalemate after the Tigers led 5-3 before blowing too many chances on the night; several of the Awaz Tigers One team were MIA in the 10-2 loss to the Boarhunters; Titans and Rebels played out some tight tussles at Awanui with the eventual 8-4 win to the premiers not really showing how close some of the matches were; while Awanui 8 Ball beat Razorbacks 8-4 (6-2) after getting off to a flyer by winning the first four games.
LADDER: Titans 74 points, Renegades 70, Awanui 8 Ball 65, Rebels 60, Marlins 60, All Hearts 55, All Day 55, Tigers Two 52, Str8 Up 50, Razorbacks 47, Tigers One 45, Waipap Gold 43, Boarhunters 42, Back In Black 38.
DRAW (with * indicating Sharpshooter’s predicted winners) in week 10 tonight is, Boar Hunters* vs Collards Back In Black, KA Rebels vs Awanui 8 Ball*, Tigers 1 vs Awanui Titans*, KA All Day vs KA Renegades*, Collards All Hearts* vs Collards Str8 Up, Waipap Gold vs Herekino Razorbacks*, Houhora Marlins* vs Awaz Tigers 2.
This Sunday at 10am, the FNPA men’s singles champs will be played at Kauri Arms Tavern. The event features a 10am start, $10 entry. Registrations to be in by 4pm this Saturday by contacting Raymond Jujnovich at 37 Commerce St.
1. Not certain about awestricken angle (4)
6. A little hesitation and rather stupid initially makes
8. Is it cold comfort living here? (7)
9. Reserve a novel (4)
10. Turkey star has a partner (8)
11. Treat a certain Paul with respect (6)
13. Play a sheep, we hear, Albert, for real (6)
14. Ed sits, curiously, to stop (6)
16. Interfere with the decoration reportedly (6) 17. The city of Alan Duck? ...... (8)
18 . ...... a little duck in disguise I read (4)
20. The sounds of a game of tennis? (7)
21. Sounds like he gets paid for vases (4)
22. Say “Burn the prophet!” (4)
2. A short weight (4)
3. New lip kickers perhaps - if you get the point (13) 4. All at sea, secure safely (6)
5. A cheese catcher? (6)
6. Deduce, uses tag maybe and usually is correct
7. The only way it comes down (8)
12. A willing participant (8)
15. A roof t’design (6)
16. Female returns to study and will turn angry (6) 19. As linkages without snag (4)