Danger lurks in the flowers
Every breed of cat or dog has its own traits and boxers are no exception. They always have a real presence about them, maybe because of their smooth-coated muscular stature but they are also often very inquisitive which can get them into trouble at times. Horace is one such boxer who is lucky to be alive. Horace was rushed in to the hospital on Saturday afternoon and carried in to the treatment room. He couldn’t stand and his gums were as white as paper. Luckily, Ian had decided to go straight home from work at 12 and found him staggering around the back yard, and had brought him straight in to us. After putting an intravenous line in Horace’s leg we were able to give him fluids at high volumes and drugs intravenously. He was in a state of acute shock and very near death. And all this was due to a small bee. Within an hour Horace was much brighter and wondering what had happened. Ian now carries a syringe with antihistamine wherever they go in case he gets stung again. Horace had had a severe reaction to the venom in the bee sting and like people, could have died. This type of reaction isn’t common but does occur and with increased frequency in some dog breeds (eg boxers). Sandie, a little 3-month-old kittenen cameca in with a sore and very swollen front paw immediately after squealing when she was playing nearr the lavlavender bush. Jasmine was trying to swat a noisy little bee and ended up with the same, but we were able to find the sting under her paw and remove it. Sly, a little Labrador cross, was no exception, but like unlike cats who try to bat things with their paws, dogs tend to investigate with their nose. Poor old Sly looked like a sharpei (the really wrinkly dogs). His eyes were little slits and his muzzle was swollen to the size of an English bull terrier. He had been stung on the nose somewhere and the swelling was a result. The bee’s sting is barbed, and when it stings, the venom sac remains attached to the point. This sac continues to contract and pumps venom into the victim for several minutes after the initial sting. Like the poor pets mentioned, reactions can vary and include: • Localised swelling of the legs or paws • Swelling of the face • Multiple smaller swellings over the entire body • Acute allergic or anaphylactic shock and
collapse leading to death Treatment varies depending on the condition of the patient but includes antihistamines, anti-inflammatories and fluids if necessary. What to do if you think your furry friend has been stung: • Try to locate the sting and remove it with tweezers
(the sting is usually impossible to find) • Apply a cold pack or damp towelel to hehelp relieve
the swelling and discomfort • If swelling develops in thee nextnex the hospital immediately (especially if swelling developsvelops aroundd theth headd or over the entire body) • Contact the hospital if the dog is a
short-faced breed (eg boxer, bulldog etc) Remember if you need us we are here till 7pm Monday to Friday and open Saturday and Sunday as well as a phone call away 24/ 7 on 357 9993.
30 minutesminutei contact