Stay­ing safe in a RE­STRICTED Fire Sea­son

The Tribune (NZ) - - ENJOY! - 06 356 8199.

The ru­ral fire ar­eas con­trolled by the Palmer­ston North City Coun­cil and the Depart­ment of Con­ser­va­tion land that board­ers it, are now af­fected by a re­stricted fire sea­son. For those res­i­dents who live within the ru­ral area, it means you will now need to ob­tain a Ru­ral Fire Per­mit if you wish to light any open air fire. Deputy Prin­ci­pal Fire Of­fi­cer, Graeme McIn­tyre said there are ex­cep­tions. “You can still use a bar­be­cue if it is lit in a prop­erly con­structed con­tainer and fu­elled with gas or liq­uid fuel. You can also light a cook­ing fire pro­vid­ing it is lit within an ap­proved con­crete or stone sur­round with at least three me­ters of cleared ground around it.”

Graeme said the re­stric­tion means per­mits are re­quired for the use of bra­ziers and chimineas. “Per­mits will be is­sued dur­ing nor­mal of­fice hours, so res­i­dents who wish to burn rub­bish or light a fire should con­tact the Palmer­ston North City Coun­cil on 356 8199. A Ru­ral Fire Of­fi­cer will need to make an ap­point­ment to in­spect the site be­fore a per­mit can be is­sued.

No fires should be lit if con­di­tions are windy, the smoke from your fire would cause a nui­sance to per­sons or sur­round­ing prop­erty or if the per­son light­ing the fire can­not re­main with the fire un­til it is fully ex­tin­guished.

If you have any ques­tions, or would like clar­i­fi­ca­tion on if your prop­erty is within the ru­ral bound­ary, con­tact the Coun­cil on

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.