You should start making assumptions
If you don't have an emergency survival kit for you home, there is no time like the present to put one together. If you don't know where to start here is a list of assumptions to work from:
• Assume that shops may be closed and eftpos may not be working
• Assume roads may be closed or impassable
• Assume that phones, power and internet may be down
• Assume your survival items may have to last your family and pets for up to three days
• Assume you may not be able to get back to your home after a major event
• Assume that you may not get help immediately after an event
• Assume your battery operated radio will be your best source for updated information
• Assume that if your home is connected to gas that pipelines could be broken
• Assume a major event will happen at night in the rain
• Assume you may not have running water
• Assume children may be upset and afraid
• Assume your elderly neighbour may need help
If you can cover these assumptions, you should be able to plan and cope with a major event and help keep your family calm and safe.
If you would like more information go to www.getthru.govt.nz or contact an Emergency Management Officer at Palmerston North City Council on 356 8199.