Eggplant parmigiana with crumble
This is a speedy recipe that can be prepared in 20 to 25 minutes, perfect for a weeknight.
EGGPLANT PARMIGIANA WITH FRESH MOZZARELLA AND COURGETTE CRUMBLE
1 eggplant, cut into 1cm rounds 1 courgette 1⁄ cup finely grated parmesan
3 cheese 3⁄ cup panko breadcrumbs
4 2 teaspoons olive oil 200g tomato pizza sauce (storebought or see recipe below)
2-3 handfuls baby spinach leaves, chopped Pinch of chilli flakes (optional) 100g fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced 0.5cm To serve 2-3 slices focaccia bread (or your favourite crusty bread) 1⁄ cup picked basil leaves,
4 roughly torn
Preheat oven on grill to high. Position your oven rack in middle of the oven.
1. Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium (preferably oven-proof) fry-pan on medium-high heat. Season eggplant with salt and pepper. Fry, in batches, for about 2 minutes each side or until golden brown, add a little extra oil if needed. Set aside and remove pan from heat.
2. While eggplant is cooking, prepare the courgette crumble. Grate courgette into a medium bowl. Add parmesan cheese, panko breadcrumbs and olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Mix to combine and set aside.
3. Mix pizza sauce and spinach together in same pan used for eggplant. Even out with a spoon and sprinkle with chilli flakes (if using). Evenly lay eggplant over sauce and top with slices of mozzarella. Sprinkle over courgette crumble.
4. Grill for 5–8 minutes with oven door closed or until cheese has melted and breadcrumbs are golden brown. Check regularly to avoid burning.
5. Warm bread in oven, below the eggplant parmigiana, for five minutes
To serve, divide the eggplant parmigiana between plates, scatter over torn basil leaves and serve bread on the side for dipping. Tomato pizza sauce Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium pot on medium heat.
Cook 1 brown onion, diced and 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped for 3-4 minutes, until soft. Stir through 1⁄ cup tomato
4 paste, 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes and 1 teaspoon sugar.
Simmer, uncovered for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally until sauce is thick and jam-like. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir through 1⁄ cup fresh sliced
4 basil (optional). Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Use a fry-pan about 24cm in diameter. If you don’t have an oven-proof frypan, use a similar sized baking dish and bake for a further 3 minutes.