Get fit for summer with high intensity interval training
Spring is in the air and your body is laced with excitement at the thought of the warm and sunny days ahead. Then suddenly that brief moment of spring excitement sinks away with the dreaded thought of putting on your summer swimsuit.
But you can burn fat with one exercise routine, three times a week, which only takes about 20 minutes. This highly-researched exercise routine is called HIIT; it stands for high intensity interval training. The great thing is that you can do it with any exercise you like. The key is consistency and a bit of sweat, plus your willingness to be comfortable with the uncomfortable.
The key is to work each interval up to a point where you cannot talk and begin to sweat.
This incredible exercise routine moves you into the fatburning zone for up to 24 hours! It acts as a de-stressor, improves immune function, and fires up brain cells. Here are the steps to get started:
1. Warm up for two minutes doing star jumps, cross crawls or down dogs
2. Pick your favourite exercise and do it for a minute at an intensity of four out of 10
3. Do the exercise for 60 seconds as hard as you can
4. Rest at a level four intensity by simply walking in place
5. For seven more times, repeat steps two to four, increasing your intensity each time.
For a bonus round, add a movement into one of your intervals that has your hands and legs crossing over the midline of your body. This triggers left and right brain integration and acts as a preventative measure to early onset of dementia and Alzheimer’s.
Get toned for summer.